100 Years Ago: Robert Logan Killed in Action, Roscoe Vanderwater Honoured, Signaller Harold Davis Wounded

The Intelligencer November 15, 1916 (page 2)

“Another local Boy Wounded in Action. Another Belleville boy has made the supreme sacrifice and given his life for his King and Country. Mr. William Logan residing at 150 Church street this morning received a message which bore the sad intelligence that his son Private Robert McPherson Logan, No. 454,870, infantry, was killed in action on October 1st 1916.

The young man referred to was well known in this city, where he had lived with his parents for some years. He was for some time an employee of the Intelligencer Office. He enlisted in the 39th Battalion and went overseas with that Battalion. Another brother is in khaki. The parents and members of the family will receive the heartfelt sympathy of all citizens.”

[Note: Private Robert McPherson Logan died on October 1, 1916. He is commemorated on Page 120 in the First World War Book of Remembrance.]

The Intelligencer November 15, 1916 (page 2)

“Honors Awarded a Gallant Canadian. A number of Canadian soldiers have of late been gazetted as having been awarded the Distinguished Service Order. Among them is one well known in Belleville and vicinity, namely Major Roscoe Vandewaters.

The gallant officer commanded an attacking party with great determination, held and consolidated the captured trench, and personally supervised the digging of new communication trenches.

The popular Major left Belleville with the 39th Battalion and is an officer who is highly respected by all members of the Battalion. His father Mr. Charles Vandewaters resides in Sidney Township being an ex-Deputy Reeve of the Township.”

The Intelligencer November 15, 1916 (page 6)


“Signaller J. Harold Davis Wounded. Word was received yesterday by John R. Davis, Albert Street, that his oldest son, Signaller J. Harold Davis, had been wounded on November 2nd. Particulars later.

Harold enlisted in the 33rd Battery at Kingston, last year, as a Gunner. On reaching England in December, he, with several others, were detained there to take a signalling course. He was sent to France in June, and since then has been with the 3rd Brigade, H.Q.S., C.F.A., as a Signaller, with the 1st Division, B.E.F., France.”