100 Years Ago: Flight-Lieut. Douglas Reid Injured, Souvenirs of War Sent to Tweed

The Intelligencer March 4, 1918 (page 1)

“Flight-Lieut. Douglas Reid Injured in Aerial Accident. Leg Broken and Thigh Dislocated in Accident at Fort Worth Texas.

Twice within a week has the winged messengers of the electric telegraph brought sorrowful tidings to the home of Mr. and Mrs. C. M. Reid. Just a week ago yesterday a cable message brought the sad news that their son, Flight-Lieutenant Harold Mackenzie Reid had met death in an aeroplane accident while serving his King and country overseas.

Yesterday, while the hearts of the parents were still heavy with sorrow at the loss of their splendid soldier son, came another message to add to the already heavy burden of grief in the news that their other aviator son, Flight-Lieutenant Douglas Reid had been seriously injured in an aeroplane accident at Fort Worth, Texas. Fortunately the anxiety of Mr. and Mrs. Reid is lightened by the intelligence that their son’s injuries, while serious, are not of a dangerous nature.

The telegram read as follows: Fort Worth, Texas, March 2, 1918. C. M. Reid, Belleville. Regret to inform you that Charles Douglas Reid was seriously but not dangerously injured today in an aeroplane accident. Extent of injuries, leg broken above the knee and thigh dislocated. Will communicate further tomorrow. Officer Commanding Aerial Gunnery Squadron. …  Mr. C. M. Reid’s brother at St. Louis, Missouri, left last night for Texas to see that everything possible is being done for Douglas. A telegram received this morning says that Flight Lieut. Reid is resting quite comfortably, and the Intelligencer joins with a host of friends and well wishers in the hope that the gallant young aviator may have a speedy recovery.”

The Intelligencer March 4, 1918 (page 7)

“Souvenirs of the War. Mr. and Mrs. A. Godfrey, Tweed, are in receipt of a parcel from France which contained a number of souvenirs of the war, the property of their late son, Sergt.-Maj. Percy Godfrey. Amongst the number are two finger rings made of French shell nose pieces, one engraved ‘Ypres’ and the other decorated with a small compass; a pearl crucifix mounted with silver, found in the ruins of a cathedral; a pearl maple leaf pin; an old gold brooch with sapphire, ruby and diamond studding, and an amber medal with silver maple leaf and crown which the deceased wore suspended to a chain about his neck.

The parcel was sent by a friend of the deceased and the souvenirs are highly prized by the parents, whose son before leaving on his last and fatal trip to the front line trenches where he fell a victim to the Hun bullets, the deceased placed his private belongings in charge of his brother, Pte. Lyman, of the transport service, at the same time saying that he felt it was his last call to action. Sergt.-Maj. Godfrey met his death in action on November 4th, 1917.”

[Note: Sergeant Percy Godfrey died on November 3, 1917. He is commemorated on Page 244 of the First World War Book of Remembrance.]