100 Years Ago: Bombardier Ernie Moore Wins Military Medal, Women’s Home League Sale, Private Fred Benson Is Killed, Private Harold B. Vickers Wounded, Private Earl Newman Dale Is Killed, Private Leo Frank Orr Wounded

The Intelligencer August 29, 1918 (page 1)

“Military Medal Won By Ernie Moore. Another young Belleville soldier has brought honor to the city, and won glory for himself by exceptional bravery on the field of battle, Bombardier Ernie Moore, who has been awarded the Military Medal. This young artillery man is a son of Mr. and Mrs. S. S. Moore, 188 Charles Street, Belleville, and enlisted with the 33rd Battery 1916.

With characteristic modesty Bombardier Moore has kept his honors to himself not even informing his parents of his distinction. However, the news reached Belleville in a round-about way, through a letter from Gunner Cliff Tait to his mother, Mrs. R. J. Tait, of Oakville, in which he refers to Bombardier Moore as follows:

‘Ernie Moore has been decorated with the Military Medal for a wonderful bit of work in which all kinds of courage and devotion was required. During an advance Ernie kept a whole group of artillery (a large number of batteries or brigades) in communication with the infantry. His telephone lines were constantly under heavy hostile shell fire, yet, in spite of that he kept up and down the lines repairing the breaks and laying new lines as our infantry advanced.

These lines became very valuable when the enemy counter-attacked, for it enabled our artillery to place a barrage on their formations and so break up their attack. Needless to say this operation was very successful.

You must write to Bdr. E. G. Moore, No. 304165 and congratulate him. Also phone Stan and Hazel. I’m sure they will be glad to hear of Ernie’s work.”

The Intelligencer August 29, 1918 (page 5)

“Sale of Work. The Women’s Home League of the Salvation Army held their semi-annual sale of work at the Citadel yesterday. The opening took place at 3 o’clock when Adjt. Trickey introduced Mrs. Major R. D. Ponton to those present who, after giving a short address, declared the sale open.

Mrs. R. W. Brown, who had charge of the arrangements, and Mrs. T. Taylor, treasurer, with their staff of workers, deserve credit for the splendid success of the undertaking. The several stalls looked very dainty and well filled with articles of every kind. The refreshment stalls were well patronized, as well as the curiosity stall and the Post Office. Over $400 was taken, clear of expenses for the soldiers, and will be forwarded in a few days through the efforts of the Salvation Army Home League, which now numbers seventy members.”

The Intelligencer August 29, 1918 (page 5)

“Pte. Benson Killed. News has been received that Pte. Fred Benson, of Ivanhoe, has been killed in action. Fred went overseas three years ago last June and was about twelve months in the trenches.”

[Note: Private Fred Benson died on August 12, 1918. He is commemorated on Page 367 of the First World War Book of Remembrance.]

The Intelligencer August 29, 1918 (page 5)

“Right Hand Wounded. Private Harold B. Vickers, who left here as a member of the 80th Battalion band, has been reported as wounded. Whilst no details have been received the message stated that the right hand was wounded. Pte. Vickers played a sliding trombone in the 80th band, when it was stationed in this city. He is the son of Mr. J. A. Vickers of Toronto, a former well known Bellevillian.”

The Intelligencer August 29, 1918 (page 5)

“Made Supreme Sacrifice. Another brave Hamilton Highlander has made the supreme sacrifice for his country, in the person of Pte. Earl Newton Dale, whose next of kin, Mrs. Martha Dale, resides at Marlbank, Hastings county, Ont.

Pte. Dale enlisted at Hamilton in the 173rd Battalion, on April 7, 1916; and went overseas on Nov. 14 of the same year. He had been on the firing line for over a year before struck by a Hun bullet, and had taken part in some of the biggest battles in which the Canadians figured. Pte. Dale met his death in action during the recent heavy fighting about Picardy.

He was born in Canada, and had resided in Marlbank, Ont., practically all his life. During his eight months training in Hamilton he had made many friends and acquaintances, by whom he will be sincerely missed.”

[Note: Private Earl Newman Dale died on August 14, 1918. He is commemorated on Page 393 in the First World War Book of Remembrance.]

The Intelligencer August 29, 1918 (page 5)

“Pte. Orr Wounded. Mr. James F. Orr residing at 7 Grove street, city, is in receipt of the following telegram which refers to his son, who enlisted with the 234th Battalion. ‘Sincerely regret to inform you 1027539 Pte. Leo Frank Orr, infantry, officially reported admitted to Fourth Casualty Clearing Station, Aug. 16, gun shot wound in knee.—Director of Records.”