100 Years Ago: Christmas Cable from King, Ad for Shredded Wheat, William Edward Clarke Returns

The Intelligencer December 26, 1918 (page 1)

“Christmas Cable From The King. Ottawa. The Governor-General has received the following telegram from his Majesty the King, through the Secretary of State for the Colonies: Buckingham Palace, December 24, 1918.

‘Another Christmas has come around and we are no longer fighting. God has blessed your efforts. The Queen and I offer our heartfelt good wishes for a happy Christmas and many brighter years to come. To the disabled, sick and wounded we send a special greeting, praying that with returning health you may be comforted and cheered by the vision of these good days of peace for which you have sacrificed so much. (Signed) George R. I.’

To which his Excellency has replied to the Secretary of State for the Colonies: December 25, 1918. ‘I respectfully beg you to convey to His Majesty the grateful thanks of the people of Canada for His Majesty’s most gracious message and Christmas greetings. The special reference to the sick and wounded will be deeply appreciated. (Signed) Devonshire.’ ”

The Intelligencer December 26, 1918 (page 3)

“When Your Boy Comes Home you will be glad you gave the last dollar you could spare to keep him at the front and to keep him happy, well clothed and well fed. Shredded Wheat paid its heavy toll for doing a restricted business during the war and it paid it gladly. It was a patriotic privilege. Shredded Wheat is the same breakfast cereal you have always eaten—clean, pure, wholesome and nutritious. Eat it with hot milk and a little salt. No sugar is required.”

The Intelligencer December 26, 1918 (page 7)

“Returned Home. Pte. W. E. Clarke, son of Mr. and Mrs. E. Clarke, who reside at 103 Cedar street, city, unexpectedly arrived home on Tuesday afternoon. Pte. Clarke left here with the 39th Battalion in June 1915, and went to France with the 14th Battalion. During his stay in France he participated in many big battles, and on the 10th of April, 1917, at the Battle of Vimy Ridge he was buried for seven hours, which caused contusions multiple. He returned to England and remained there until December 12th, 1918, when he sailed for Canada. Pte. Clarke is now in perfect health, and his many friends in Belleville are pleased to see him home once again.”