100 Years Ago: Hugh Brant Invalided Home, Ted Yeomans a Prisoner in Germany, Charles White Wounded, Arthur McGie Suffers Gas Poisoning

The Intelligencer November 19, 1917 (page 3)

“Pte. Brant Recovering. Pte. Hugh Brant who went overseas with the 155th Battalion in October of last year has returned to Deseronto. A reception was held for him at the home of his sister, Mrs. Eliza Sero, Mohawk Reserve on Tuesday evening of last week when friends from Belleville, Point Anne and the Reserve gathered to welcome him home.

Pte. Brant looks first rate considering the amount of suffering he has gone through; wounded in the head and face, and affected by gas, he has had to undergo three operations to save his eyesight and will have to spend three months more in a hospital at Kingston for further treatment. A purse of money was presented to Pte. Brant at the reception.”

The Intelligencer November 19, 1917 (page 7)

Ted Yeomans“ ‘Ted’ Yeomans Prisoner. To-day Dr. Yeomans received a welcome message from his son, Lieut. ‘Ted’ Yeomans, who was recently reported missing and mourned as dead, that he was a prisoner in Germany.”

The Intelligencer November 19, 1917 (page 7)

“Sergeant White Wounded. Mrs. Ellen E. White, 78 Gordon St., has received a telegram from the Director of Record at Ottawa that (746137) Sergt. Charles Lewis White, Infantry, officially reported as admitted to the 6th field Ambulance Depot on Nov. 6th, 1917, with gunshot wound in the head.

Sergt. White, who is well known in Belleville, was for several years a cook at the Anglo-American Hotel. He enlisted and went overseas with the 116th Battalion, Oshawa.”

The Intelligencer November 19, 1917 (page 8)

Arthur McGie“Lieut. A. G. McGie Gassed by Huns. Mr. A. McGie, 202 Bridge Street, received the following message yesterday morning regarding his son, Lieut. A. Grendley McGie, who went overseas as a machine gun officer of the 155th Battalion.

‘Sincerely regret to inform you Lieut. A. Grendley McGie, infantry, officially reported admitted to No. 1 British Red Cross Hospital, Letreport, November 12th, 1917, gas poisoning, slight. Director of Records.’

Last evening he received the following cable message from his son, dated Bristol, England, yesterday: ‘Slightly gassed, in England, feeling fine.’

Lieut. McGie’s many friends will be glad to learn that the poisoning is not of a serious nature, and wish for him a speedy recovery.”